A Robot Design Executive Summary (RDES) helps Robot Design Judges quickly learn about your robot. The RDES is required for some tournaments and optional at others. A RDES is optional for the VA-DC region. The link below provides guidelines for a RDES.
When you present your RDES, it is important NOT to be scripted. Judges typically want more of a conversation, not a presentation. Use the RDES as talking points.
Also, less is more. As a judge, you have a limited time with the team and to review materials. Keep it at a summary level, the thickness of your RDES does not matter.
My team has done several different variations from PowerPoint slides, 4 X 8 ft Insulation Board broken into sections and poster board sandwich boards. Our favorite is the 4 x 8 ft board because it allows the team to go where the judges want to go. My team also uses the RDES to show how they evolved over the season. On the back we have every run printed out.
4 x 8 ft Presentation Board Instructions
- Purchase a thick 4 x 8 ft insulation board from a home improvement store
- Purchase a large role of craft paper and spray glue from a craft store
- Purchase decorative duct tape
- Cut the board using a box cutter and a straight edge so you can fold it for transport.
- Glue the craft paper to the board using the spray glue.
- Use the duct table to seam the pieces together and to frame the edges.
`In addition to the RDES, we always take printed sample programs to review with the judges. Download Program Detail Summary.